Friday 19 November 2010

The new adventure...

Since the last round the world adventure, I have ventured into the world of aircraft painting.  I'm not very creative so it has taken some practice, but I eventually decided to try a repaint of the PMDG B1900D.  I settled on a repaint in the colours of a new operator in Tanzania called "Safari Plus".  The airline is owned by the Kempinski luxury hotel group and transports tourists between Dar Es Salaam airport to the various safari resorts around the country.  I think the repaint looked really smart so I decided to try my new found paint skills out using photos gathered from the internet, mostly from this excellent blog.  It is worth stating that I am using this aircraft repaint purely for entertainment purposes, there is absolutely no affiliation whatsoever between me and either the Kempinski group or Safari Plus.  It's a fictional tale, in a fictional world!


So I had my aircraft, and now needed a route!  Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania seemed a logical place to start my adventure, and thanks to the Africa 1960 scenery recently made available online, many more airports in Africa were available to use.  Since facilities at many remote African airports are basic, the scenery was more than enough to give a sense of realism to some of the smaller airports.  I edited out most of the major international airports to maintain a sense of realism.


So I was to explore Africa - something I didn't do a great deal of last time.  I also avoided much of South America and Russia so I will be including a number of destinations there.  Much of Europe was still left to see, especially Scandinavia.  In the previous world tour, I had crossed the Atlantic Ocean from Recife, Brazil, to Monrovia, Liberia, via Ascension Island in the mid-Atlantic.  The Pacific crossing was via the Bering Strait.  I wanted to do it differently this time but couldn't plan enough suitable airports to cross the Pacific further south, so the Bering crossing will be flown again but the Atlantic crossing will be via Iceland and Greenland for a change.


Other changes for this tour include flying mostly in an east to west direction.  This has the slight disadvantage of more headwinds, but it will allow for more stops, and more daylight flying.  The decision to start in southern Africa has the additional benefit of being able to fly in the African summer to begin with, then the European summer for the Atlantic crossing as it'll probably take many months in real time to fit in the flights.


All the flights will be flown in real-time and with real weather from ActiveSky for maximum realism.  I also invested in the Reality XP Jetline 2 gauges for the PMDG B1900D having read excellent reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment