Friday 19 November 2010

Lilongwe to Lusaka

DAY 1, LEG 2 - Lilongwe to Lusaka

The second leg took me from Lilongwe in Malawi across the Lower Zambezi National Park to Lusaka in Zambia.  I decided to use Lusaka City airport (FLLC) instead of the international airport as it was quieter and smaller, therefore easier all round to use for a fuel stop.  After this leg, this intention was to continue east to Victoria Falls, but with time pressing on, I decided to head south and visit the falls on my return north.

Parked at Lilongwe at a very warm 29c.  Fuelled with 860kg of Jet A1 for the flight.

Cruising over eastern Zambia and the Lower Zambezi National Park.  Due to the build up of cloud I decided to climb from FL200 to FL250 which was approved by Lusaka ATC.  This gave the added advantage of picking up a 30 knot tailwind which helped progress towards FLLC.

Crossing the Luangwa River

On approach into Lusaka City, my TCAS alerted me to another aircraft nearby, namely that of a South African Express EMB-135 routing from Johannesburg to Lusaka Intl.

Excellent weather on arrival in Lusaka for a quick fuel stop.  Temperature 33c - getting warmer!

FWLI - FLLC stats

Take off time:  0723
Landing time:   0740 (-1 hour time difference)
Flight time:      01:17
Fuel used:        518kg / 1140lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment